World Savvy is a leading national education nonprofit working to transform teaching, learning, and culture in K-12 public education so all students can learn, work and thrive in our rapidly changing world as globally competent citizens.
World Savvy is unique in the field for our systems change approach that holistically supports the integration of global competence into student learning, teacher training and capacity, and school and district leadership. We have offices in Minneapolis (largest) and San Francisco. Learn more at www.worldsavvy.org.
World Savvy is an ambitious organization with big ideas and tenacious growth goals. Our culture is one of optimism, authenticity, levity, and learning. World Savvy is deeply committed to anti-racism, inclusion, and equity in our programming and workplace. As we grow, we will intentionally build a team that reflects the ethnic, racial, and cultural diversity of the students, educators, and communities we serve. World Savvy seeks individuals who are black, indigenous, and people of color to apply.
MISSION: World Savvy educates and engages youth to learn, work, and thrive as responsible global citizens.
VISION: As the leading provider of global competence education, World Savvy envisions a K-12 education system that prepares all students with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions for success and active engagement in the global community.
We do the best work possible in service of our mission.
We believe collaboration is essential.
We see people as whole human beings.
We intentionally grow and change.
We lean into complexity when it’s called for.
We believe big things are possible, whether that’s our mission or the project on the table.
We notice and disrupt exclusionary patterns.
We bring hope, joy, and a sense of aspiration into all that we do.
We are looking for a full-time Director of Finance to join our team as a strategic internal driver of oversight and implementation of World Savvy’s financial systems and strategy. We are currently working in a hybrid remote workplace due to the pandemic and are open to a remote worker for this role, with a preference given to candidates in Minneapolis, MN.
- The Director of Finance (DOF) will focus efforts on strengthening the organization’s internal financial practices, and producing financial documents that enable World Savvy’s mission to empower the next generation of responsible global citizens.
- The DOF is responsible for day-to-day leadership of finance management, budgeting, and fiscal accountability.
- The DOF plays a critical role for the organization and must provide stable financial leadership and support to a growing organization in a remote context as we have offices, staff and programming in several states.
- Competitive candidates for this role will have a bachelor’s degree in the accounting or finance fields and a minimum of 7-10 years of professional experience in a nonprofit finance role, including experience as a Finance Director.
- Proven managerial expertise and comfort serving as part of the senior management team are needed to help guide our national educational nonprofit’s growth.
- This role is a tremendous opportunity for a finance professional to maximize and strengthen a well-respected and high- impact organization’s internal capacity.
- This position will support team members across the organization’s locations and national programming. Click here for program information https://www.worldsavvy.org/our-programs/.
- This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and work closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chief Program Officer (CPO), and is supported by a consultant with 6 years of experience with World Savvy who does significant work on bookkeeping and payroll.
Financial Management (75%)
- Drive financial strategy of the organization and oversee the day-to-day accounting activities and monthly close processes.
- Engage fully as a member of the Leadership team, actively shaping and demonstrating full ownership for all organization-wide decisions and providing other members of the Leadership team with the feedback and guidance they need to be successful.
- Produce necessary financial reports including but not limited to: cash flow, monthly cash projections, P&L, fundraising, and departmental budget updates.
- Present monthly and quarterly financial reports accurately; communicate monthly and annual financial statements; lead quarterly Board Finance Committee meetings.
- Implement a robust financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Manage organizational financial forecasting, including annual forecasts and farther- reaching forecasts related to strategic plan and Vision 2035 growth campaign.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Leadership Team and budget managers.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process and Finance Committee.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure processes with a lens on strengthening and adhering to sound internal controls.
- Advance best practices for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion throughout finance activities.
Contract Administration (25%)
- Strengthen, and support internal adoption and use of systems in partnership with the COO, CPO, and CEO including:
- Salesforce finance data reporting
- Finance management with QuickBooks and expense tracking
- Technology adoption and reporting tools
- Dashboard development
- Liaise with legal counsel to ensure compliance with all contracting processes with prospective consultants and partners.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners, including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Champion and track with staff vendor and consultant diversification goals.
- Ensure that administrative protocols are in place, documented, and updated related to the organizations’ finance-related functions.
- Draft and approve all contracts for compliance and quality in partnership with CPO and other staff.
- An associate's or bachelor’s degree in an accounting or finance field.
- At least 7-10 years of professional experience in nonprofit accounting and/or nonprofit finance.
- At least five years senior financial leadership or DOF experience.
- Knowledge of nonprofit generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). In-depth knowledge of QuickBooks, especially QuickBooks Online.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and experience using and producing dashboards.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem- solving skills that support sound decision-making.
- High-level attention to detail with strong executing themed strengths with a drive to get things done.
- Commitment to social justice and desire to be a champion leader supporting our efforts to become an anti-racist organization focused on global education and World Savvy’s mission to educate and engage youth to learn, work and thrive as responsible global citizens in the 21st century.
- Ability to work remotely and develop and maintain financial systems and processes that allow a team to work remotely.
- Curiosity and ability to learn new technologies. Demonstrated competency in selecting and applying appropriate technology to meet the administrative and financial needs of an organization.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and collaborate with others who do not have finance backgrounds.
- Experience working effectively in a small and collaborative team environment.
- Proficiency in current workplace technologies, including but not limited to Microsoft Office suite, Zoom, Slack, Salesforce, and Google applications.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, mission and goal-oriented environment.
- Capacity to work in ambiguity and periods of growth and change.
Schedule: Full time and limited nights and weekends
Salary range: $105,000 - $120,000, based on experience
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Location: Priority given to those based in Minneapolis, MN, but flexible to other base locations.
Travel Requirements: The work of this role is primarily internal; there may be some travel needs to other sites depending on public health guidance and needs. Travel may be as much as 10%, or more if the DOF is located outside of Minnesota.
Applying for the Position:
Please apply online. Include a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you believe your experience and skills are a fit for this role, addressing the following:
- Your financial management philosophy and tools you use; experience using Salesforce and dashboards; and
- Knowledge of building and maintaining remote work systems that keep the financial functions effective and efficient.
If you have questions that would affect your interest in applying, please e-mail jobs@ worldsavvy.org.
A note about World Savvy’s commitment to anti-racism and recruiting:
In the past, we’ve used equity and inclusion language to express our social justice values and our intention to build a team that reflects the racial diversity of the students, educators, and districts we serve. Like many organizations, we’ve recognized how passive and ineffective this has been at overcoming the effects of systemic racism that have impacted the workforce for generations. Many things need to change, including the dialogue we have with job seekers. To that end, we share the following:
As we grow, our commitment is to intentionally build a team that reflects the ethnic, racial, and cultural diversity of the students, educators, and communities we serve. This population is currently 50% or more Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). Recognizing the gap we have on our team, we’re seeking individuals who identify as a part of BIPOC communities to apply. We believe these life experiences and perspectives are critical, in particular, to advance our global competence work. At its core, this work is about teaching students to practice empathy, value cultural differences, consider multiple perspectives, and collaboratively problem-solve. In an increasingly divided world, this work is more important than ever, and its continued success hinges on modeling this ourselves by continuously learning and growing.
World Savvy COVID-19 approach:
World Savvy is currently a hybrid work environment depending on the role and tasks. This is reviewed on a periodic basis, with staff provided 30 days of notification of any changes. Work environments may include: work from anywhere, work in-person/office, and work in the community.
In accordance with World Savvy’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free from known hazards, its commitment to health and safety, and the concerns of its community, we are adopting a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees and clients. This policy will comply with state and federal law, and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable and as updated from time to time. As an eligible state and federal contractor, World Savvy will comply with the COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all federal contractors and continue to follow the CDC guidance as it relates to vaccinations and booster shots. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis. World Savvy will ask for proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.